At The Edgewood Centre, opportunities abound for people from all walks of life interested in sharing their time and interests with the residents of our NH nursing home.
Make a Difference
We specialize in matching our volunteers' skills and special interests with those of our residents - people at Edgewood for long term care as well as those accessing dementia care or our short stay rehabilitation services.
There are volunteer opportunities for people of all ages.
Students who wish to gain experience in related health fields earn school credit for their volunteer time and groups from civic clubs volunteer together - sharing the experience and the satisfaction of giving back to members of their community.
Young professionals come to Edgewood to share skills in photography during free time on the weekends, older adults come to share meals with a favorite resident, and children from the community come in to adopt residents as foster grandparents.
Have Fun Doing It
For volunteers at Edgewood, activities go way beyond bingo and sing-a-longs. Whether you have a little time or a lot, there are dozens of ways to bring joy to the lives of others at our nursing facility.
- Use our laptop computers to help a resident check and respond to email or research on the web.
- Be part of the Vitamin D Club and stroll with residents who enjoy the outdoors. Our neighborhood setting is perfect for a walk to the pond, the farm down the street or the waterfront markets.
- Get creative and assist residents with artwork, crafts, and other endeavors.
- Share your musical talents while utilizing our rehearsal space. Play your violin while our residents dine or practice for your recital on our baby grand piano.
- Serve up a smile at wine and cheese parties, dessert buffets, and our family celebrations. If you haven’t yet served Thanksgiving dinner to families at Edgewood, you’re missing something wonderful!
- Bring Fido for a visit by signing up to be part of our pet therapy program. If you have a well-behaved pet, we have some residents who would love to meet you.
- Treat a resident to a spa experience; everyone loves to be pampered! We provide all the supplies and you get to be the nail artist.
- Help residents write their story either one-on-one or as part of an existing creative writing group.
- Form a nursing home knitting circle by leading residents who want to practice their yarn skills.
- Join our buddy program and make a new friend. Come in to talk sports, listen to music together or pursue an activity of your interest.
- Be the celebrity chef and enjoy baking or cooking with a group of residents. Our dynamic activities team provides ingredients and assistance.
Feel Comfortable, Feel at Home
Relax and enjoy our light-filled facility, spend time in our gardens and sun porches, and take in the view of the woodland pond from our courtyard or shaded decks.
At The Edgewood Centre, we believe giving should feel really good. The secret of volunteering at Edgewood is simple. Whatever you give comes back to you in ways you cannot even imagine. It’s part of the magic of the place – you’ll feel instantly at home here.
Ready to Get Started?
Melinda Bailey, our volunteer coordinator, is on site at our long-term care facility to provide all the supplies, equipment, and encouragement you might need. The process to apply is simple:
- Fill out a volunteer inquiry form
- Complete a volunteer application
- Meet with Edgewood's volunteer coordinator
- Decide on your area of interest
- Attend a volunteer orientation session
For questions, call Melinda at 603-766-2323 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
*Special Requirements for Young People Volunteering at Edgewood
Are you willing and able to engage with an older person?
- If under age 12, you may volunteer with a parent
- If age 12-16, obtain parental consent to volunteer
- If age 18 or older, complete an authorization for a criminal background check
- Learn new skills, earn school credit, build your resume
- Eat free when dining wiht a resident; we all eat better when sharing a meal with a friend
- Brighten the lives of others, make a difference, and expand your circle of friends