Short Stay Rehab
The short stay rehabilitation program at The Edgewood Centre is designed for people eager to return to their independent lifestyle following surgery. The average length of stay for a short-term rehab resident at Edgewood is only 21 days.
Our goal is to provide the highest level of rehabilitation and skilled nursing care to residents while facilitating the transition, as quickly and safely as possible, from hospital to home.
- Medical director Dr. Sarah MacDuffie’s team of practitioners on-site five days a week
- Coordination of treatment with primary care physicians
- On-site specialists in dentistry, podiatry, optometry, dermatology and audiology
- Individualized treatment plans designed around personalized goals
- Physical, occupational and speech therapies seven days a week
- Modern rehabilitation gym and focused one on one sessions with therapists
- Certified wound, ostomy and continence nurse
- Respiratory care practitioner on staff full-time
- Orthotic and prosthetic retraining
- Pain management program
- Education, exercise and relaxation training
- Wellness treatments such as Reiki
- Home evaluation and discharge planning
Special Amenities and Services
Cost effective and convenient, the short stay rehab program at Edgewood offers a wide range of services provided with warmth and attentiveness.
- Family owned, non-corporate atmosphere
- Neighborhood location in historic Portsmouth, New Hampshire
- Private and semi-private rooms with views of woodlands, ponds and gardens
- In room phone, TV and Wi-Fi
- Chef prepared meal choices and a variety of dining options
- Visiting hours 24/7 and free meals for resident family members
- On-site salon and spa
Cardiac Rehab: Getting Better, Going Home
Interdisciplinary expertise in Edgewood’s cardiac care program integrates rehabilitation, nursing, nutritional management, medical care, and discharge planning. The team successfully treats residents with cardiovascular diagnoses such as vascular disorders and congestive heart failure, as well as post-cardiac surgery needs.
Short stay residents can rest assured that the cardiac rehab program begun at the hospital is continued with the same level of professional expertise and care. Edgewood’s cardiac rehab program is highly regarded in the medical community, and Edgewood works with all cardiothoracic surgeons and cardiologists in the Maine and New Hampshire Seacoast area.
Orthopedic Rehab: Getting Back on Your Feet Again
The Orthopedic Rehabilitation Program at The Edgewood Centre focuses on restoring function of the musculoskeletal system following joint replacement or repair, fracture, amputation or back injury.
Our goal is to help residents attain the highest possible level of functional mobility and independence through the types of personalized programs that have earned us a 40-year reputation for excellence in rehabilitation therapy.
Neurological Rehab: Getting Stronger Every Day
Edgewood’s short stay neuro rehab program is for people with spinal cord injuries, Parkinson’s disease, stroke-related deficits, traumatic brain injury, multiple sclerosis or other neurological impairments.
The short stay rehab team is committed to helping residents regain the highest level of functional independence, mobility and communication. In addition to our general rehab services, we offer:
- Cognitive and perceptual retraining
- Dysphagia management
- Neuro-muscular re-education and balance training
- Orthotics and splinting
Respiratory Care: Breathing Easier and Heading Home
Edgewood’s Respiratory Care Program focuses on treatment plans for residents with COPD, pneumonia, post-thoracic surgery, and other pulmonary issues.
Our goal is to help residents maximize their cardio-pulmonary function, attain the highest level of functional mobility and independence, prevent the reoccurrence of disease and assist with a speedy return home. In addition to our general rehab services, we offer:
- CPAP/BiPAP therapy
- Oxygen management
- Dysphagia management
Edgewood’s licensed therapists provide the same high level of rehabilitation on an outpatient basis for those individuals who have transitioned home and are still in need of services.
Edgewood provides comprehensive programs in physical, occupational, and speech therapy for people recovering from a stroke or heart attack, neurological or orthopedic condition, or major surgery.
For more information about outpatient rehab or any of Edgewood’s rehab programs, contact Edgewood’s rehabilitation director, Judy Thompson, by phone at 603-766-2385 or by email.
After twenty years at Edgewood, she is a wealth of knowledge and is happy to answer questions about your unique situation.